Cash For Clunkers

I have been intrigued by Big Brothers "Cash for Clunkers" Program. I have also been thinking about trading my 2003 Dodge Ram diesel truck for a new truck. My truck currently has 78,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. 78K on a Cummins diesel is just broke in, since Cummins projects at least 300,000 miles before a major rebuild, provided proper maintenance is performed. There is nothing wrong with my truck, just a guy thing about having a new set of four wheel drive, Hemi powered wheels. Four wheel drive and Hemi power makes crushing Smart cars and hybrids easy, plus it gives those of us who drive "REAL" cars more room on the road. (a little red neck humor and sarcasm there).

Now, I began thinking about that $4,500 "rebate" plus Chrysler's match if I bought another Dodge truck would make perfect sense, plus with the trade in, I'd make a sweetheart deal. For those of you who know me, I am a Dodge truck guy. Haven't bought anything but a Dodge since 1976, never even thought about buying anything else. This time I was considering a new Ford truck, only because Ford Motor Company did they right thing and told the government "No Thanks" to allowing the government to own them. Besides, Fiat, which along with Big Brother and the UAW now own Chrysler, has never built a pickup truck, and probably wouldn't know one if they saw it.

So, I began doing a little research. I went to the CARS (
Car Allowance Rebate System) website, http://www.cars.gov/ , and began reading. What I found made absolutely no sense to me at all. Under the IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW section I read this little fact:

"The program requires the scrapping of your eligible trade-in vehicle, and that the dealer disclose to you an estimate of the scrap value of your trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate."

Now why in hell would someone crush or shred a perfectly good vehicle that could be put to better use by someone who really needed a solid, reliable set of wheels?

The vehicles are not just crushed or shredded, the engines in them are first drained of oil, and then under the federal CARS program, dealers are required to destroy the used engines by replacing their oil with a water-sodium silicate mixture and the engine is run at 2000 RPM until it seizes up, rendering it totally useless.

I see a couple of things wrong here, the destruction of good, serviceable trade-in vehicles not withstanding. The first will be an increase of pricing of pre-owned (politically correct term for used) vehicles. A potential shortage of used parts for repair or replacement, and increased pricing for what is left out there. Second, the environmentalist whackos drive to put every American behind the wheel of a Smart car or Toyota Prius Hybrid. Third, another government program using MY tax dollars to give to someone who wants a new car, but can't afford it without government help.

When I first saw the FORD commercial that says, they'll recycle your ride, I thought it was a neat catch phrase. Little did I realize they will literally recycle your ride. What a waste.

Got questions? Here is the CARS website: http://www.cars.gov/

Check it for yourself, but I already looked it up so you don't have to.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What He Said

An Open Letter to Senator Casey

Chrysler - Mama Mia, Ats Italian